A remand prisoner died at a district hospital in Kerala’s Palakkad on Thursday after allegedly ingesting sanitiser which he mistook for alcohol, jail authorities stated.
Ramankutty, who was lodged within the jail as a remand prisoner since February 18, was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday morning after he collapsed contained in the jail.
“We suspect that he drank a bottle of sanitiser which are manufactured in the jail premises (by the prisoners) as per the instructions of the state government,” a senior jail official instructed PTI.
He was regular on Tuesday evening and was additionally current for the roll name on Wednesday however collapsed at round 10.30 am, officers stated.
Prison authorities use Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as the foremost content material of the hand sanitiser.
Police stated they’ve registered a case and the precise reason for demise shall be identified solely after an post-mortem is carried out.